Monday, March 12, 2012

So I made some Borscht!

"I called over the chef and told him to take it away, and bring it back hot. He did. the looks on their faces still haunt me today." -Rimmer from Red Dwarf on Gazpacho soup
This is a story of cold soup. not Gazpacho, but BORSCHT!

Borscht has come up in conversation from time to time, but I had never considered making it until yesterday. My mom suggested trying the kind that comes in a jar, but I thought that was silly, and I have to make everything..... or at least do it the hard way!

Thanks to the WWW, I found a delightful recipe from the region of Russia in which my family hails: UKRAINE!  From Allrecipes.com i discovered my Borscht. I left out the sausage part and it came out beautifully! Also, I used Tofutti Sour Cream because I'm lactose challenged.

Yes, beets are messy, but the color is sooooo pretty!!! and I'd never prepared a beet from its natural form, and discovered the beauty within. ENJOY!

   the beautiful beet!                                                             
The cold soup with added salt, pepper, and (of course) sour cream to taste!

And don't forget to mix it all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment