Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I hope my loud clothing distracts you from my awkwardness!



A few years ago, my mom showed me a 12-year-old's style blog, Tavi Gevinson's style rookie. I was totally baffled and HOOKED. I know I had style at that age, but I don't think I could write the way she did when I was 12. When I was in middle school, I collected all sorts of strange objects that were ties to childhood when I was dreading growing into a young lady.  Quarter machine rings, and OH the rubber rings that came with  Hard Candy nail polish, and Barbie shoes....Barbies. Those were hard to get rid of. We still played with them in secret, but justified our actions to ourselves by saying we were re-styling them, by cutting their long manes into butch pixie cuts, because what did we know about cutting hair!?

My best friend and I were effected by our mothers collective eclectic style. A little old, a little new, a little flea market, a little chic boutique-ing. We both wanted to look different than everyone else, so much that we both chopped out hair into barbie pixies too! (which neither of us will EVER do again... for fear of looking like we'd been attacked by a lawn mower) At least butterfly clips had been invented to soften the blow. My hair was just long enough to put some gel and random sparkly clips in to call macaroni.

Every attempt to make ourselves blend in was really a ploy to stand out. Don't look at my awkwardly almost-grown-up body and unibrow, but look at AAALLLLL the necklaces I have on, and my really huge pants!!!

SO,  the point of all this jabbering:  My mom sent me a video of Tavi! A closet interview!! I was so excited to hear her voice, and I TRULY enjoy how often she discusses "aesthetics".

Tavi Gevinson Closet Interview (vimeo, so I don't think I can imbed. SORRY!!!)


I completely understand what she's saying. I know the feeling of wanting to look interesting to deflect insecurities. that was my life in high school! She says she collected insults and came back fiercer the next day.  The best ones I got were "did you get dressed in the dark," and "so, do you just roll around in a pile of clothing and wear what sticks?" (oh and that lawnmower one? that was from an ex boyfriend. clearly not a match made in heaven).






1 comment:

  1. Hover over the video image and it gives you embeding options <3 Loved the post. The whole video was eye candy, I couldn't stop watching it. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete